Thursday, October 23, 2008

Day 4 - Late Night

It is hard to believe that we have been here for four days.  I would be lying if I said it wasn't tough but the support of everyone has really been getting us through this.  I can't say it enough, we appreciate all that you folks are doing for us, from offering us places to stay to making sure that we have anything we need.  I have always felt blessed by having you all as our friends and family, but I never knew how great you all really were/are.

This evening they began to taper some of his pain and sedation meds in hopes of being able to extubate him over the next 24 hours.  I have learned all kinds of new words I never thought I would know.  That particular one is the process of taking him off of the respirator.  What they did actually is called debriding.  If you are curious, I suggest a Google.

Insofar as today's activities, as I mentioned earlier, they did an initial surgery on both of his wrists.  He now has plates in both wrists.  Interesting note on this one, the nurses say he will likely be in more pain from the wrist surgery than the burn trauma.  Sounds absolutely insane to us as we look at his burns and still cannot recognize him, but these folks know what they are doing and saying.

For those that know the back story on this one, you will be happy to know I was able to get my car fixed here at a local dealership.  Let's hope that I don't get stuck in the parking lot again!

When I said goodnight he remained in the coma.  I look forward to the day, hopefully soon, where he will actually be able to say goodnight back.  

E.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erika,

You know how to find me if anything is needed. Please don't hesitate to call. Good Luck.

Dave F.

Unknown said...

Hi Erika,

I know words can't express how you feel but for those of us who cherish you as a colleague and friend we appreciate your blog and just knowing how things are going. Please know my thoughts are with you and please don't hesitate to call if I can do anything at all.

Best wishes for Bink's speedy recovery,

Nadine

Anonymous said...

Erika, you and Bink continue to be in my thoughts and in my prayers.
Big or small, if there is something that you need just ask.

Kathleen Nader

Anonymous said...

Sending you love and energy to go through this unthinkable time.

Sue M. (CCEDC)

Anonymous said...

Erika,
You and your husband have been in my thoughts this week. Please do not hestitate to let me know if there is anything you need. I will be thinking about you and praying for your husband's speedy recovery.
Best,
Claire

Anonymous said...

Just checking in to make sure your holding up ok, we are looking forward to bink hopefully being awake soon!! Will give you a call tonight, Love ya, Matt and Heather..

Bernie said...

Hi Erika,

I just wanted to let you know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. Call me if you need anything -- my cell phone is always on.

Bernie